Although the holiday season is coming to a close, the winter weather season has just begun. Unfortunately for car drivers, a simple storm involving snow, rain or sleet can severely impact weather and driving conditions and lead to possible NY car accidents. Although many drivers recognize the dangers associated with inclement weather and driving conditions, negligent driving can still occur in the presence of dangerous weather elements. In fact, recent studies by the Federal Highway Administration have found that almost a quarter of all car accidents annually—a figure that amounts to about 1.5 million crashes per year—occur as a result of inclement weather and driving conditions. If you or someone you know was involved in a NY car accident involving negligent driving and inclement winter weather and driving conditions, contact the experienced NYC car accident lawyers at Robert A. Flaster P.C. to set up an appointment immediately to see whether you have a possible NY car accident claim.
How to Avoid Negligent Driving During Winter Weather and Driving Conditions
Winter is perhaps one of the worst times of the year for weather-related NY car accidents. Although the vast majority of weather-related car accidents nationwide result from wet pavement and rain-related conditions, a sizable amount of accidents are directly tied to wintry conditions. In fact, almost 40 percent of all weather-related car accidents combined involved snow, sleet, icy pavement or snowy & slushy pavement. Even when the weather and driving conditions outside are less than desirable, many drivers negligently fail to take the precautions necessary to protect themselves and surrounding cars from potential NY car accidents resulting from winter weather and driving conditions.
Although it is highly recommended that you avoid driving in winter weather and driving conditions, you can greatly decrease your likelihood of ending up in a weather-related NY car accident by taking any or all of the following precautions:
- Keep your car headlights on at all times while driving so that other drivers can see you on the road.
- Brake gently to avoid skidding, or ease on your brakes if car starts skidding.
- Use low gears to maintain traction—especially if you’re driving through hilly areas.
- Do not pass snow plows or sand trucks on the road, since drivers of these vehicles have limited visibility from their seats.
- Do not use cruise control or overdrive on snowy roads.
- Do not speed on snowy or icy roads, as this could lead to a potentially dangerous NY car accident
- Avoid driving in the snow while fatigued. If you feel tired, take a nap before your trip and drive once you feel well-rested.
- Never drink and drive in snowy or icy conditions, as this could lead to dangerous and possibly fatal consequences. If you need to drive in snowy or icy conditions, make sure that you feel well-rested or sober beforehand.
If you feel that you were involved in a NY car accident resulting from negligent driving in dangerous weather and driving conditions, it is important to consult an experienced NYC car accidents lawyer regarding all of the possible legal issues associated with your case.
How Our NYC Car Accident Lawyers Can Help with NY Car Accident Cases
NY car accident cases stemming from negligent driving and inclement weather and driving conditions can present a number of complex legal issues that require the assistance of a NY car accidents lawyer. If you sustained serious injuries in a car accident as a result of negligent driving in inclement weather and driving conditions, click here to contact the experienced NYC car accident lawyers at Robert A. Flaster P.C. Our NYC car accident lawyers are experts in negligent driving cases related to winter weather and driving conditions, and will meet with you to discuss your case and research relevant laws and case history to see whether you have a possible claim. If we find that you do have a possible claim, our NYC car accident lawyers will also help develop a legal strategy that will help you get the compensation you deserve.
Contact Robert A. Flaster P.C. today to set up an initial consultation with one of our experienced NYC car accident lawyers, and let us help you take the first step toward getting the justice you deserve.